SPARKNOTES VERSION OF ME:
I’m a high school educator, teaching in a world that has changed since the desks were flipped and I was the one sitting facing the blackboard. Wait, what’s a blackboard? And computers – Did we use computers? Rarely. When we did, we went to a computer lab and faced a black or green screen on which we had to type commands in order to get it to “do” anything. Now, with desktop pictures, icons, internet browsers, Chrome extensions, etc., it’s a whole new world. Not to mention smartphones. I mean, we have computers in our pockets!. Needless to say, the methods and madnesses of the teaching profession have evolved…like it, or not. Fortunately, I like it. 🙂 (Please forgive me if I overuse the smiley face. My students call it my “trademark.” I just feel textual communications need to be infused with some feeling.)
The goal of this blog is to share resources, information, tips, tricks, and teaching experiences. Over the years I have found a wealth of information out there on other educators’ blogs. It’s now my turn to start giving back. (Spoiler alert – I can get really behind. But it’s an ongoing goal of mine to become a regular poster.)
ANALYSIS OF MAJOR CHARACTER:
I firmly believe we owe it to our kids to integrate technology into our teaching and into their learning. Think of all the catchphrases out there – engagement, relevance, connection, authentic learning, real-world experience, etc. It’s our job to get these kids ready for life. Technology is part of life now (whether you like it or not). You’ve got to give it a try. Your students will thank you for it. I will thank you for it. So roll up your sleeves and dig in. Start small. Practice. Play. Enjoy. And if you’re already there, using technology in the classroom, maybe we can help each other. What do you say?
I welcome comments and questions here and follows on Twitter or Pinterest. I readily admit that I fall behind. I do, after all, teach. 😉
THEMES/MOTIFS & SYMBOLS:
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Meade
- Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. ~ Dr. Seuss?
Motifs (recurring thematic elements in my life):
- Craziness (got enough of that to go around)
- ADHD (doing a million things at once, can’t remember any of them)
- Speediness (walking, talking, driving, etc. – think Hammy in Over the Hedge)
- Passion (euphemism for intense emotionality)
- Running shoes and Bondibands: I’m a runner. I’ve done 11 half marathons and 6 fulls. Also a bunch of Warrior Dashes and other miscellaneous races. There’s always a race or two on the calendar, including an upcoming Ragnar. I’ve also got my sights on ultras, to my husband’s utter dismay.
- Blue: Total Dodger fan. Best in the West.
- Beer mug: Yes, we brew. And then we drink it.
- Books: I read everything I can. I hope to write one some day.
- Apple: Nope, not for teaching…for tech! I heart my Macbook, ipad, and iphone 😉
That’s good for now. If you made it this far, thanks for getting to know me!